Met-Chem was originally formed in 1969 to provide the engineering, procurement services, and construction management for the Mont Wright Project in Northern Quebec. Following completion of the Mont Wright project, Met-Chem was appointed by Sidbec Normines to provide EPCM services for a pelletizing facility at Port Cartier. In 1976, Met-Chem was selected, through international competitive bidding, to provide EPCM services for the Kudremukh Iron Ore Project in India.
During the eighties and nineties, Met-Chem performed EPCM projects for Les Mines Seleine for a salt mine at Les Iles de Madeleine, for the rehabilitation of National Iron Ore Company's iron ore facilities at Mano River, Liberia, for modernisation of a rail finishing facility at Algoma Steel's Sault Ste Marie facility, a new ladle furnace for Sidbec Dosco at their Contrecoeur Works Plant, for the Rajmahal Coal Project for Coal India, and with turnkey projects such as interceptor drain projects in India and Pakistan, an iron ore slurry pipeline project in China, the New Brunswick Coal Storage System for NB Power Corporation, etc.
Met-Chem also provided EPCM services for AHMSA in Mexico on the increase of their pellet capacity, for US Steel at their Gary Works and for a gold concentrator and a copper-zinc project in Newfoundland.
In today's dollars, Met-Chem has been responsible for over 3 billion dollars of EPCM and Turnkey work. This work has often been executed under stringent climatic conditions. In spite of these difficult situations, the projects were completed within time and budget constraints.
Some of Met-Chem's successes center on the following projects:
- Mount Wright Iron Ore Development Project - Quebec Cartier Mining, Quebec
- Port Cartier Pellet Plant - Sidbec Normines, Quebec
- Kudremukh Iron Ore Project - Kudremukh Iron Ore Company, India
- Seleine Salt Mine Project - Les Mines Seleine, Quebec
- Rail Moderization Project - Algoma Steel Corporation, Ontario
- Rajmahal Coal Project - Coal India Limited (Eastern Coalfields), India
- Mano River Iron Ore Project - National Iron Ore Company, Liberia
- Rosebel Gold Project - Cambior Inc, Surinam